Saturday, August 14, 2010

My first 5K!!!!!

Today at 6 in the morning I'm felt a little regret from signing up for this 5K. All I want to do is throw my alarm across the room, roll over and go back to bed, but I can't! I paid money for this thing darn it and I'm going to do it. So I roll over and kiss Adam to wake him up and I can tell he is not feeling it either, but we both drag our butts out of bed and get ready. We are in the car ready to go 1/2 hour later and boy do we look the part. In our shorts, sports shirts and tennis shoes no one could tell by looking at us that we don't run...but we don't...EVER. Of course, I am a huge fan of the Biggest Loser (obviously I am practically in love with Jillian Michaels), and if 300-500 pound people can train in six months, or something like that, to run a full marathon at the end of the season then I should be able to run my butt 3.1 miles right!!!?? So, we meet up with our friends, David and Karen, who are runners, and we head for the marathon. When we get there I start getting a little nervous. There are so many people, athletic people... runners. They are all so inspiring in the their running gear and ipods. However, I just don't want to finish last. That is one of my biggest fears in life... finishing last at anything. I mean I guess that's probably everyone's fear, the fear of failure, but today I must put in my head that it doesn't matter if I come in last, it matters if I finish what I started and so that's what Adam and I set out to do!

Before the race....




































Once the race starts, I'm focused. I'm pumped! It's exciting running with that many people. You feel like you are a part of something. Watching everyone else makes you want to keep going. Adam and I managed to run without stopping to walk for the first mile and a half and then we had to start walking every once in awhile. There were a lot more hills than I expected so Adam and I walked up the hills for the most part and would run down hills and on the flat areas. Near the end the only thing keeping us going was the fact that we were going to finish... and in the middle!

































I was so exhausted by the end of the race but when I saw the finish line there was this sense of accomplishment that filled me. I was so happy. I will even say,I'm a little embarrassed, but I almost cried. It was even harder to keep my tears back when we almost get to the finish line and Adam looks at me and says, "Let's hold hands when we cross the finish line." This is such a sign of our relationship. A sign that we will always be by each others side. A sign that we will always be there for each other! A sign that I'm one lucky girl!































After the race....
This is an absolutely terrible picture, but what do you expect us to look like after a race? At least we are all smiles! Adam was making me laugh which is why I look so goofy. All in all I'm so glad that we chose to do this and we are actually super excited for another one in Oct!!!

If you have time, check out the Tomato Arts Festival today in East Nashville! I would have gone back and checked more stuff out if I didn't have to go to work tonight.


A special thanks to Karen for being our supporter and photographer! Hopefully next time you and baby tomato can run with us!!

1 comment:

  1. I don't know why on this post the spacing is all weird so I'm sorry about that!

    ReplyDelete